'Coup plot followed by cyber blitz'
Montenegro has asked Britain for technical help to defend against cyber attacks after suffering a barrage of online assaults in the wake of an alleged Russian-backed coup plot.
The Balkan nation says it suffered sustained cyber attacks against state websites on the day the foiled coup was due to take place, and then faced another wave of attacks in February.
Both Montenegro and British officials have accused Russia of being behind the plot, to stop Montenegro joining Nato. Russia has rejected the accusations.
Montenegrin leaders asked Alan Duncan, Foreign Office minister, for British technical assistance to repel cyber attacks when he visited the country last week. UK and American intelligence agencies are already helping the country investigate the coup plot to assassinate the then prime minister, Milo Djukanovic, on October 16.
Montenegro's special prosecutor has said the coup was planned by "Russian state bodies" and has said he will indict a Russian military intelligence officer.