Monday 18 December 2017

Business conference attack: Victim killed after row over price of drinks in lap-dancing club

Katie Hodge

A BRITISH man killed in a drunken brawl after claiming he was "ripped off" by the cost of drinks at a lap-dancing club on the French Riviera was a former soldier, according to reports.

Lee Elton Fisher, 37, is understood to have become enraged by the prices at the night-spot before he stormed out to confront a man handing out promotional fliers.

A row broke out and Mr Fisher, said to be a married ex-member of the Territorial Army who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, was later punched in the face.

He collapsed on the road in the exclusive resort of Cannes in the early hours of Monday morning. He had been due to return home later that day.

Three French men between the ages of 25 and 30 were being held by police on suspicion of a crime akin to manslaughter and were due in court yesterday.

Officers investigating his death said Mr Fisher, of Sandhurst, Surrey, and three friends had visited a bar after leaving an exhibition being organised by the Tax Free World Association.

He returned to his hotel for a shower at the end of the day before going out "for some beers".

After five or six pints, the group arrived at the lap-dancing club but the labourer left after just one drink, apparently outraged by its cost.

"He felt it was expensive, that's what upset the victim," a police source said.

"He believed he had been ripped off so he left the bar.

"Outside he saw a guy who was handing out fliers for another lap-dancing club.

"He was very angry so he started to shout at the man."

A fight ensued and friends of both men came to their aid.

"People came over to help the man and Mr Fisher found himself facing several individuals," the police source said.

"His own friends came over but two of them were also attacked. One was punched in the nose and the other on the mouth. They were chased off.

"After that, the situation appeared to calm down but suddenly Mr Fisher was punched in the face. He fell to the ground, unconscious."

A post-mortem examination will be carried out tomorrow to establish the precise cause of his death, which came at around 3.30am at the start of the duty free and travel retail exhibition where he had been employed to put up a stand for the UK-based design consultancy company Lea International.

More than 5,000 delegates are expected to attend the trade show which runs until Friday.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News