Thursday 26 April 2018

Brooks arrest linked to probe over cover-up at Murdoch group

Rupert Murdoch with Rebekah Brooks

James Cusick in London

Rebekah Brooks was arrested in a dawn raid at her Oxfordshire home yesterday as Scotland Yard's inquiry into phone hacking moved into a dramatic new phase of investigating a possible cover-up at the top of Rupert Murdoch's British newspapers.

The 43-year-old former editor of 'The Sun', who recently became a mother, was one of six people, including her husband, racehorse trainer Charlie Brooks, detained by detectives from the Yard's Operation Weeting on the serious charge of suspected conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

The arrests, which took place between 5am and 7am and followed consultations with the Crown Prosecution Service, are a significant escalation in the gravity of the offences being considered by police.

Among those arrested were two current News International employees, including the head of security, Mark Hanna.

It is understood police now believe there may have been a plot to conceal the extent of voicemail interception at the 'News of the World' after the launch of Weeting 14 months ago.

Detectives are believed to be investigating the handling within News International of sensitive data relating to phone hacking, including the activities of staff during an arrest last year.

British Prime Minister David Cameron, a long-standing friend of Mr and Mrs Brooks and part of the couple's social circle in the Cotswolds, distanced himself from the developments as he flew to America. A spokesman said: "It is an operational matter for the police. You wouldn't expect him to comment."

Downing Street was last week forced to admit after several days of dodging the issue that Mr Cameron had ridden Raisa, a horse loaned to Mrs Brooks by the Metropolitan Police.

Mrs Brooks, who is also a former editor of the 'News of the World', resigned as chief executive of News International last July shortly before she was arrested by Weeting officers on suspicion of conspiring to hack voicemails and making illegal payments to police. On that occasion, she was held for nine hours after being asked to attend a central London police station with her lawyer by prior appointment.

Yesterday, no such courtesies were shown to the Yard's targets as they were roused from their beds and teams of officers began searches of their homes, before they were taken in for questioning.

Mrs Brooks and her husband were taken to separate police stations after being arrested at their farmhouse in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire.


A spokesman for Mrs Brooks, who in less than a year has gone from being one of Britain's most powerful women to a suspect for three criminal offences, declined to comment.

Scotland Yard declined to discuss the reason behind the arrest of Mr Brooks, who has no formal links to News International beyond his wife. His arrest ruined plans to attend the opening day of the Cheltenham Festival yesterday.

It was revealed last November that the Metropolitan Police was continuing to hold a laptop computer and an iPad found dumped in a bin near the Brooks' London home on July 18 last year -- the day after Mrs Brooks was first arrested. CCTV footage covering the hours prior to their discovery has also been retained. (© Independent News Service)

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News