Thursday 23 November 2017

Britain's youngest hitman (15) convicted

John-Paul Ford Rojas in London

Gayle: shot young mum dead

A teenager believed to be Britain's youngest hitman is facing a life sentence after being convicted of shooting dead a young mother in a contract killing.

Santre Sanchez Gayle was just 15 when he was paid £200 (€230) to murder 26-year-old Gulistan Subasi.

He was recruited to carry out the execution because he had no apparent connections with the Turkish community.

He was a petty criminal whose other interests included girls, football, playing on his X-Box and using Facebook.

On the night of the murder in March last year he was driven to the the flat in Hackney, east London, where Ms Subasi was staying, and knocked on the front door.

CCTV showed the teenager, with a hoodie pulled over his head, resting a sawn-off shotgun on a front gate and pulling the trigger after the door was answered.

The murder took place at the home of the victim's mother, Dondu Subasi, who found her daughter lying with a tennis ball-sized hole in her chest.

Mrs Subasi later tearfully told the Old Bailey how Gulistan had been preparing to celebrate her son's ninth birthday the next day.

The hitman, now 16, was caught after boasting of the hit to another youth.

He was apparently unfazed after being arrested and charged with her murder, telling a fellow prisoner in a note that "the evidence they have on me is circumstantial, nothing forensic".

He added: "My barrister should be able to rip it open."

Gayle, from Kensal Rise, north London, was yesterday convicted of murder by an Old Bailey jury, along with Izak Billy (22) of Willesden, north London.

Billy was said to have hired the youth after acting as an intermediary for the people who took out the contract.

The prosecution alleged the contract had been taken out by Ms Subasi's former partner Serdar Ozbek.

But Mr Ozbek (28), of Wood Green, north London, was found not guilty of murder, after the jury was told he was in Turkey when she was shot.

Gayle said he had gone to the scene in a cab, knocking on the door and shooting whoever answered before running off and being driven away.

Gayle and Billy were remanded in custody to be sentenced today.

Outside court, detective chief inspector Jackie Sebire said: "The frightening thing is his confidence and his lack of remorse. Even though he is only 15, he knew what he was doing."

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News