Woman who was filmed in bed with Premier League footballer sentenced for attempted blackmail
A woman who was filmed in bed with a cheating Premier League footballer has been sentenced for attempting to blackmail him.
Natalie Wood (28) had previously met the high-profile player on two occasions after he contacted her on social media.
Bristol Crown Court heard he blocked Wood from messaging him when she asked if he was in a relationship.
The sportsman, who has lifelong anonymity, later unblocked her and requested that she send him sexual videos, before arranging to meet her in a hotel.
Please log in or register with Independent.ie for free access to this article.
A plan was hatched for two men to burst in and film that liaison, then sell the footage as a kiss and tell story.
Footage shows the footballer, clad only in his underwear, jumping out of the hotel room window after the men enter.
He later received a message from Wood threatening to expose him to the media if he did not respond within 24 hours.
Judge Martin Picton jailed Wood for 14 months but suspended the sentence for 12 months due to "exceptional" circumstances.
"Blackmail is always a very wicked crime and has the power to do great harm to others but I have no doubt that whatever your thoughts about it, you were subjected to significant manipulation," he told Wood.
"Those that were manipulating you did not have an intention to extract money directly from the intended victim.
"Having listened to some of the voicemail messages and some of the text messages, their attitude towards you is plain.
"You have been deeply foolish and allowed the attraction of celebrity to put you in the position where you have made some horrible mistakes in your life.
"I make it clear that I am dealing with you in respect of the text message that was sent albeit you misunderstood the motives behind it."
Wood previously admitted conspiring to blackmail the footballer with three men, who were later cleared of the charge after a three-week trial in October.
Her plea to that charge was dropped following the jury's verdict and on Friday she admitted a charge of attempting to blackmail the star.
Jurors were told Wood, former Take Me Out contestant Tyrone Coleman, his brother Nathan and Prince Rowe, planned to film the player in bed with her.
The Coleman brothers and Rowe insisted the footage was to be sold to the press.
Judge Picton said Wood mistakenly believed the plan was to extract money directly from the footballer and sent him the text message with that in mind.
The message read: "I don't really want to expose you to the media but if you don't respond within 24 hours then you leave me no choice."
Prosecuting, Simon Jones said Wood volunteered to co-operate with police following her initial guilty plea and gave evidence during the trial.
The court heard Wood has since written a letter of apology to the footballer.
Peter Asteris, representing Wood, said: "Miss Wood has been something of a victim herself. She has been manipulated."
He said his client had been stalked online, with abusive messages sent to her and her family.
The judge remarked: "The celebrity that attracted her to others has consequences."
Prince Rowe (38) was jailed for 16 months for stealing the footballer's Rolex watch and designer tracksuit after he fled the hotel room.
He was one of two men who burst into the hotel room, using a room key that had been provided by Wood, to film the player.
Rowe, of Birmingham, was wearing the tracksuit when he was arrested while waiting to board a flight to Dubai.
The judge told him: "You took the opportunity of bursting into the hotel room to get footage you wanted to sell to get your hands on his watch."
The watch, worth £23,000, and the designer tracksuit were returned to the footballer after Rowe's arrest.