Tuesday 24 October 2017

WATCH: Footage of explosion shows danger of keeping petrol in garden shed

Independent.ie Newsdesk and Agencies

CCTV has captured the moment a garden shed in West Yorkshire was flattened in a huge explosion.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blast was caused when "a small amount of petrol stored in appropriate containers and garden machinery, leaked".

They believe that the vapours were ignited by a faulty fluorescent light fitting, however the extent of fire damage meant Fire Investigation teams were unable to establish how the leak occurred.

The force has now issued advice on storage of petrol in homes and gardens.

Fire Investigation Officer Jamie Lister said: “In light of what could have been a potentially devastating incident, WYFRS would like to reiterate the safety considerations around storage and use of petrol in homes and gardens.

"Petrol produces a vapour which is extremely flammable and must be treated with utmost care. To create a potentially explosive atmosphere there only needs to be a small amount of petrol vapour present, as little as 1.4pc."

Telegraph.co.uk

Editors Choice

Also in World News