Travellers 'dump a mountain of rubbish' at London 2012 Olympic Park
A group of travellers who set up camp in London's Olympic Park allegedly flytipped "tonnes" of rubbish.
Mountains of rubbish were spotted looming above hoarding at the empty site, next to the new University College London building in Stratford, east London.
Pipe fitter Chris Clark (61) told the Telegraph said he has seen the mountain grow hugely near the London Stadium since the travellers arrived a month ago.
The plumber from Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, has been on site refitting out the university building since March and claimed the group were doing illegal rubbish collections.
Mr Clark said: "A lot of what they've been dumping is household rubbish, stuff like that - it's a huge pile covering a big area.
"I've been here for about three weeks and you could see the travellers bringing the rubbish along, dumping it and then going away again.
"They were obviously picking up rubbish from elsewhere, they wouldn't have brought it with them and there's not a chance it's just their waste.
"It looks like people are paying them to take rubbish away and this is where they're tipping it.
"There are some blue bags which might be theirs but the rest is definitely not just personal waste, there's builders rubbish too.
"There were about 21 caravans and you could see people coming in and out all the time, there were quite a lot of them.
"They were moved on Thursday morning, about 11am, by council officials, but they haven't started clearing it yet.
"The council looked like they were trying to work out how to get rid of it and I took those pictures just before they were made to leave."
A housing developer will be forced to cough up for the removal of the waste.
A spokesperson for the London Legacy Development Corporation, which manages the park, said: "A group of travellers had been illegally occupying a housing development site on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park since 24 August, 2017.
"LLDC obtained a High Court order for the group's removal and court officers enforced the order on Wednesday 9 September with support from the Metropolitan Police.
"We have taken back possession of the site, which is under licence to a developer, from the illegal occupiers and the developer will meet the cost of cleaning the area."