Thursday 23 November 2017

The heartbreaking image that hinted at Manchester Arena attack horror

Millie Kiss is comforted by a police officer
Millie Kiss is comforted by a police officer

It was the heartbreaking image that captured the incomprehensible human tragedy of Monday's attack.

Standing behind police tape, Millie Kiss (12) was tended to by a female officer, an oversized coat draped over her shoulders to keep her warm against the chill and the shock, her small feet poking out.

Pictures taken moments later showed Millie staring vacantly into space, as the same officer sought to comfort her with a hug.

Yesterday it emerged that the schoolgirl had been separated from her mother Michelle (45), who was killed in the explosion.

Just hours before the bombing, Mrs Kiss, of Clitheroe, Lancashire, had posted on Facebook a picture of Millie and a friend with the caption: "Excited girlies ready to watch Ariana."

As pictures began to emerge from the scene, friends and family spotted Millie in the crowd and believed mother and daughter had escaped from the blast.

School friends told their parents they had recognised the youngster's shoes from the images and were sure the family was safe. But it soon emerged that while the two girls had escaped injury, Mrs Kiss was missing.

Read More: Injuries are horrific, says health chief

Laura Murray, Mrs Kiss's niece, yesterday confirmed the death, writing on Facebook: "It's true, thank you everyone for your help, we are all heartbroken."

Millie was recently nominated for a National Operatic and Dramatic Association award for her performance in 'White Christmas' at the Liverpool Empire and had also taken the lead role in 'Annie'.

Mrs Kiss helped run a scaffolding business with her husband Tony and had two sons Dylan (20) and Elliot (17).

Olivia Campbell

15 of the 22 victims of the Manchester terror attack
15 of the 22 victims of the Manchester terror attack

The 15-year-old was last night described as "the most beautiful, brightest girl who wanted to use her passion for music to help make the world better".

Olivia, of Bury, Greater Manchester, was with her close friend Adam Lawler when the pair were caught in the blast. Adam is in a critical condition in hospital. Olivia had texted boyfriend Louis Birley to tell him: "I'm having so much fun!"

Martyn Hett

Martyn Hett (29), a 'Coronation Street' superfan who had a tattoo of soap character Deirdre Barlow on his ankle, was also named among the dead.

His heartbroken partner, Russell Hayward, with whom he had appeared on the reality television programme 'Come Dine With Me', yesterday paid tribute.

"We got the news last night that our wonderful, iconic and beautiful Martyn didn't survive," said Mr Hayward. "He left the world exactly how he lived, centre of attention. I love you Martyn. I always will". Mr Hett, of Stockport, was due to fly to America for a two-month holiday and had spent the last few days saying goodbye to friends.

Read More: Five missed chances to stop bomber

Mr Hett, a digital manager for Altrincham PR firm Rumpus, and his stepmother Kathryn Hett (59) hit the headlines last year when he told his Twitter followers of his devastation that she had set up a stall at a craft fair, only to sell nothing. After galvanising his online following, people from around the world flocked to her online knitting shop and it eventually ran out of stock.

Georgina Callander

The first-named victim of the Manchester terror attack was Georgina Bethany Callander, an 18-year-old Ariana Grande superfan. Ms Callander had met Grande in 2015, and posted excitedly about the time she met the star on Instagram. She attended Runshaw college in Lancashire.

Her parents, Simon and Lesley, and brothers Harry and Daniel were too distraught to speak about the tragedy.

Kelly Brewster

Kelly Brewster, a 32-year-old insurance assessor from Sheffield, was hailed as a hero after shielding her niece, Hollie Booth, from the blast.

Mother-of-one Ms Brewster had been attending the concert with her sister Claire and her niece. They were all in the foyer when the bomb exploded.

Hollie was recovering in hospital with two broken legs and shrapnel injuries, while Claire has a broken jaw.

Miss Brewster's uncle, Paul Dryhurst (59), a lorry driver also from Sheffield, said she had given her life to save her niece. "The three were walking out in single file, with Claire in front, Hollie behind her, and Kelly behind her. After the impact Claire had gone to Hollie but when she looked up she couldn't find Kelly."

Marcin & Angelika Klis

Marcin (42) and Angelika Klis (40) were killed as they went to collect their two daughters from the concert, leaving them orphaned.

Their 20-year-old daughter Alex, a student at the University of York, had posted a plea for help on Facebook after they failed to make contact. The couple were originally from Poland, but were living in York.

The Polish foreign minister Witold Waszczykowski confirmed that a couple from the country had died in the explosion.

Online appeals have been started to help Alex and her younger sister, Patrycia. The University of York said it would do everything it could to support Alex.

Read More: Faiths stand together, united in the face of terrorist atrocities

Marcin worked as a driver for York Cars Taxi Service but the company said it would not be making a comment

Several fundraising pages have been set up to raise money for the daughters with one already raising £2,000.

Saffie-Rose Roussos

The youngest victim, who was eight, was described as a "simply beautiful little girl" during a tribute at her school yesterday.

Chris Upton, the head teacher at Tarleton Community Primary School in Preston, Lancs, said the news of Saffie-Rose Roussos's death was a tremendous shock.

Alison Howe & Lisa Lees

The two mothers died waiting in the foyer of Manchester Arena to collect their teenage daughters Darcie and India.

Mrs Howe (44) and Mrs Lees (43), both of Oldham, were described by their families as "caring and beautiful".

Jane Tweddle-Taylor

Jane Tweddle-Taylor (50), a receptionist at South Shore Academy School in Blackpool, died after accompanying a friend to pick up her daughter.

The mother-of-three was in the foyer when the bomb went off. Her partner Mark Taylor said: "She was a lovely lady, liked by everybody."

John Atkinson

Twenty-six-year-old John Atkinson has been confirmed dead by family and friends.

The pop fan, from Radcliffe, was reportedly leaving the venue when he was targeted by the attacker. Tributes were paid by the local adult dance troupe, Freak Dance Radcliffe, for whom Mr Atkinson danced.

Nell Jones

The 14-year-old from Goostrey, Cheshire, was killed after travelling to the concert with a group of friends.

Nell's family had been frantically searching for her in the hope they would find her being cared for in hospital, but she was later identified among those who died at the scene.

Nell had been on crutches because of a ligament injury.

Sorrell Leczkowski

A 14-year-old girl was killed in the attack on Manchester Arena which also left her grandmother fighting for her life. Sorrell Leczkowski was last night named as the 13th victim of the fatal blast, and had travelled to the concert from her Leeds home with her mother, Samantha Leczkowksi, and her grandmother, Pauline Healey.

Mrs Healey was in a critical condition in hospital after having undergone 15 hours of surgery for shrapnel wounds.

Police officer dies

Greater Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins has confirmed that one of the victims of the Manchester Arena attack was a serving police officer.


The families of the remaining victims were last night being contacted by Greater Manchester police who said that they had finally identified all the bodies.

Relatives were still looking for Leeds criminology student Courtney Boyle, (19), who had travelled to pick up her younger sister Nicole with her mother's partner Philip Tron (32), a plumber.

Eilidh MacLeod (14) from the Isle of Barra, Scotland, was also still unaccounted for last night, two days after the atrocity. She was with her friend Laura MacIntyre (15) when they were caught in the attack as they left the arena.

Laura was located in hospital around 20 hours later after a frantic search undertaken by family members but Eilidh remains missing.

Liam Curry (19) and Chloe Rutherford (17), of South Shields, were also still missing last night.

Mr Curry, a sports science student at Northumbria University, whose father died in March after a long illness, had taken Chloe for a night away as a romantic treat.

However, neither have been seen after apparently leaving before the final song of the night.

Wendy Fawell, a 50-year-old school worker, disappeared in the chaos while waiting for her 15-year-old daughter Charlotte.

The Elvis Presley fan from Otley, West Yorks, was waiting with a friend, Caroline, who suffered shrapnel wounds and was hospitalised.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News