RTE producer appears in court on charges of attempting to meet child groomed online
RTE sports producer Kieran Creaven has today appeared in court on charges of attempting to meet a child he had groomed online.
Creaven (55) was brought before a sitting of Leeds Magistrates Court this morning where he was charged on two counts.
The first was attempting to meet a child under 16 following grooming. The second charge was attempting to court or incite a girl aged 13 to 15 to engage in sexual activity.
Creaven arrived in Leeds on Saturday and the Magistrate Rosemary Heslop was told by prosecutor Jill Seddon that he had been approached by a group who had set up a fictitious online account using the details of a 13 year old girl that Creaven believed he was meeting at a hotel.
There was no indication of a plea to the charges, and reporting restrictions mean that Creaven’s address cannot be published despite objections by the prosecution and members of the media.
The prosecution also objected to bail but bail was granted on conditions that Creaven return to face the Crown Court on December 18.
Members of the group that set up the sting operation voiced their disappointment when bail was granted.
The man has worked across a number of sports programmes for RTÉ in a career spanning nearly 20 years.
In a statement this afternoon, RTE said that Mr Creaven has been suspended.
"I can confirm that the individual is suspended until further notice. RTÉ cannot comment further at this time," a spokesman said.