Tuesday 20 February 2018

Rapunzel syndrome: Girl (16) dies after 'chewing and sucking on her hair for years'

Jasmine Beever (left) and friend
Jasmine Beever (left) and friend
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

A 16-year-old girl has died after she swallowed her own hair, causing an infected hairball to form in her stomach.

An ulcer soon developed and eventually burst, which led to the failure of her vital organs, according to reports.

Jasmine Beever was taken to hospital shortly after losing consciousness at her school, Lincolnshire Live reports.

She got into bed as soon as she got home and shortly came out with blotchy red skin.

The “bubbly” teenager had peritonitis, which is when a thin layer of tissue in the abdomen becomes inflamed.

Though she was successfully resuscitated in hospital for 15 minutes, the young girl died shortly after.

"We are all in shock," the young girl's mother told the website.

Ms Beever’s best friend is raising money via Just Giving to help the family, who live in Skegness. So far, they have raised £3,417 (€3,8520)– 170pc more than their original £2,000  (€2,254) target.

“Anyone that knew Jasmine knew what a wonderful, caring girl she was,” the page reads.

“She had a real zest for life. There was never a gloomy face around Jaz because she would go out of her way to make you smile. Even people she didn't know.

“She would always offer a helping hand for anyone that was struggling or offer her shoulder and a hug to anyone that was having a bad day.”

Ms Beever had been chewing and sucking on her hair for years, according to a Facebook post by family friend Donna Marshall.

Trichotillomania, or compulsive hair-eating, is an impulse-control disorder that can be brought on by stress and leads people to pull out their own hair.

This seemingly innocent habit can cause hairballs to form in the gastrointestinal tract which causes a wider blockage in the digestive system, commonly referred to as “Rapunzel Syndrome.”

Earlier this year evidence was heard at a Dublin inquest that a 24-year-old woman had died from the same condition.

Surgery was recommended for Karen Carroll from Portland Square, North Circular Road, Dublin 1 in 2009 but this did not happen and she died five years later.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News