Sunday 22 April 2018

Parisitic worm in man's stomach linked to eating sushi

Sushi-lovers are being warned of the dangers of ingesting parasites from raw and undercooked fish
Sushi-lovers are being warned of the dangers of ingesting parasites from raw and undercooked fish

Daniel O'Connor

Rising levels of parasitic infections have been linked to sushi becoming increasingly popular in the West.

A report from the British Medical Journal has highlighted the trend caused by eating fish that is either raw or undercooked.

The BMJ notes that a man (32) who was admitted to hospital in Lisbon suffering from vomiting and abdominal pain told doctors that he had recently eaten sushi.

Medics removed a parasitic worm from his stomach and his symptoms resolved instantly.

It was determined that the parasite stemmed from a condition called anisakiasis.

The condition is caused by the consumption of contaminated seafood that is either raw or undercooked, the symptoms of which contain “abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting,” the report says.

The study mentions that most cases of this condition have been diagnosed in Japan, but that it was becoming more recognised elsewhere.

The findings noted: "Owing to changes in food habits, anisakiasis is a growing disease in Western countries, which should be suspected in patients with a history of ingestion of raw or uncooked fish."

Safefood advises the public to wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling raw fish to prevent the spread of bacteria, and to use separate utensils for raw and cooked fish.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News