Saturday 24 February 2018

Have-a-go hero arrested after death of suspected armed robber he tackled during supermarket raid

Shane Bryant, 29, died after being restrained for 30 minutes by a passerby
Shane Bryant, 29, died after being restrained for 30 minutes by a passerby

Camilla Turner

A have-a-go hero has been arrested after the suspected armed robber he restrained during a supermarket raid later died in hospital.

 A 24-year-old man, who foiled Shane Bryant’s getaway from a Co-op store in Ashby, Leicestershire, was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm but has since been released pending further inquiries.

He was one of a group of locals who restrained Mr Bryant, 29, as he tried to flee from the store, and held him for 30 minutes until police arrived.

A spokesman for Leicester Police said that when officers arrived to arrest the suspected robber he was “taken ill” and had to be rushed to hospital.

Mr Bryant's condition was initially described as “critical” following his admission on Thursday. He died on Saturday morning.

Onlookers described how two men armed with a golf club raided the Co-op store on Thursday night.

"Two guys in an Audi tried to rob the shop,” a witness said. “One guy armed with a golf club got everything money-wise from the shop, but members of the public stopped him and restrained him for 30 minutes until the police came.

"The other guy mounted the pavement in an attempt to get the members of the public off of his mate." Another local said there was “screaming and shouting” and the sound of a car’s tyres screeching.

"I saw this one guy lying on the pavement below. I thought they'd been in a fight,” he said. "At first I thought they were helping him but then realised they were restraining him."

Conservative Councillor John Coxon, leader of Ashby Town Council, said the whole situation was a "tragedy".

Mr Coxon, who was driving past the Co-op at the time of the incident, said: "There was some kind of commotion. As we were waiting at the lights a car pulled out and came speeding past us. I think it may well have been the other robbers making their getaway.

"The whole thing is a tragedy really. One person has died, and another has been arrested."

Mr Bryant was taken to Nottingham's Queens Medical Centre, but died around 36 hours later.

A crowdfunding page has been set up for "a much loved friend Shaney B" with a target of £500.

"As you all [know] a much loved friend of our community got taken away in unexpected circumstances," the crowdfunding page said

"He left behind two small children and [an] absolutely heartbroken family.... I thought it would be nice to raise some money to give to his children and help support the family in any way possible.

"Any little donation I'm sure would be much appreciated..... just a little something to show our love and support."

A spokesman for Leicester Police said: "Officers were called to Market Street in Ashby at 10pm on Thursday night after reports of two men entering a store and threatening staff with a baseball bat and golf club, and demanding cash.

"Shane Bryant, 29, was at the scene when he became ill. He was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham where he died yesterday morning

“One of the suspects made off in a vehicle which was waiting outside. Mr Bryant was apprehended in the street by members of the public, but became ill.”

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News