| 19.1°C Dublin

Boy (14) guilty of stab murder of schoolgirl Ava White (12) in Liverpool city centre

Schoolgirl murdered after she approached boys who were filming her and her friends in Liverpool city centre


Ava White who died after being stabbed. Photo: Merseyside Police

Ava White who died after being stabbed. Photo: Merseyside Police

Ava White who died after being stabbed. Photo: Merseyside Police

A 14-YEAR-OLD boy has been found guilty of the murder of a 12-year-old girl in Liverpool.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claimed he accidentally stabbed the girl in self-defence after a row over a Snapchat video in Liverpool city centre on November 25, 2021.

He admitted possessing the knife, which the court heard had a 7.5cm blade, but denied her murder and manslaughter.

A jury at Liverpool Crown Court took just two hours and eight minutes to return a guilty verdict yesterday.

Jurors heard how schoolgirl Ava White (12) was fatally stabbed in the neck following the switching-on of Christmas lights in Liverpool city centre.

Charlotte Newell QC, prosecuting, said that in the hour before her death, Ava had been “having the time of her life with her friends”.

The court heard pre-recorded evidence from a 14-year-old friend of Ava’s, who said the group had shared some vodka and were “messing about” when they saw the flash of phone cameras and realised they were being recorded by a group of four boys, including the defendant.

Ava and a friend approached the boys and asked them to stop filming and delete the footage, before being joined by more of her friends, including two older boys, jurors were told.

The jury was told the older boys left but the defendant and his friends then “jeered” at Ava, causing her to run towards them. Footage captured on cameras at the back of the city’s Primark store at 8.35pm showed Ava push the defendant and him back away, before he raised his hand in front of him showing a “reflective object”.

The video then showed him running away from the scene and Ava holding her hands to her neck.

Home Office pathologist Dr Jonathan Medcalf said Ava died as a result of the stab wound to her neck, which was about five to six centimetres long and damaged her windpipe and jugular vein, causing catastrophic bleeding.

He said he believed a moderate degree of force was used.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

The court heard how after Ava was struck to the neck the defendant ran away, discarded his knife and took off his coat, which was later found in a wheelie bin.

CCTV showed him and his friends in a shop where the defendant took a selfie and the group bought butter, which he said was for crumpets.

He then went to a friend’s home and when his mother contacted him because police wanted to speak to him, he told her he was playing a computer game.

After he was arrested, just after 10.30pm, he initially told police he had not been in the city centre but in later interviews blamed another boy for the stabbing.

The trial heard in his first police interview, on November 26, the defendant denied having been in the city centre that evening and said he was at a friend’s house playing Call Of Duty on a PlayStation 4.

The defendant admitted being in the city centre in his second interview the following day, after being shown CCTV footage. 

Most Watched