36 hours after Manchester terror bombing: All we know so far about horror attack that killed at least 22 people
At least 22 people were killed and dozens more were injured on Monday when a suicide bomber let off a blast in Manchester on Monday night.
As US popstar Ariana Grande performed her final song of the night at the Manchester Arena, British-born bomber Salman Abedi detonated the device.
Here's what we know in the hours that have followed the incident:
- The UK chief constable said it is "very clear" that police are investigating "a network" linked to the bomber.
- Suicide bomber Abedi (22) was born in Britain to Libyan parents and is understood to have recently returned from a visit to the African country.
- Another man (23) was arrested yesterday in connection with the attack and Prime Minister Theresa May has said that we cannot rule out the possibility that Abedi was part of a wider network of Isil-inspired terrorists
- For the first time in 10 years, the prime minister raised the terror threat to the highest possible level, from severe to critical, meaning an attack is "expected imminently".
- Up to 5,000 soldiers will be deployed on the streets amid fears that the Manchester suicide bomber had accomplices preparing further attacks.
- Extra police officers have been put on duty in London in the wake of the attack, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick announced.
- Mrs May also announced that troops would replace police officers at set-piece events including sports venues and concerts.
- The military will be providing armed guards for key locations across London including Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, the Palace of Westminster and embassies, Scotland Yard said.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, saying: "With Allah's grace and support, a soldier of the Khilafah [caliphate] managed to place explosive devices in the midst of the gatherings of the crusaders in the British city of Manchester."
- Four victims who died in the attack have been named so far - Georgina Bethany Callander (18), Saffie Rose Roussos (8), Olivia Campbell (15) and John Atkinson (26)
- The injured - including 12 people under the age of 16 - were being treated at eight hospitals across Greater Manchester, Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said.
- A vigil was held on Tuesday evening in Albert Square, Manchester.
- All national General Election campaigning has been suspended after the explosion.
- Manchester Arena is the largest indoor arena in Europe and can hold 21,000 people.
- It is unclear where exactly the blast occurred, but initial reports indicated it happened either just outside the Manchester Arena or near a foyer.
- A "controlled explosion" was carried out by police at the Cathedral Gardens area near Manchester Arena shortly after 1.30am.
- The Prime Minister condemned what was being treated as an "appalling terrorist attack" and said she would chair a meeting of the Government's emergency Cobra committee on Tuesday.
- Police said the suspicious item at the centre of the controlled explosion was just abandoned clothing.
- Grande, 23, later said on Twitter: "broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words."
- Police are appealing for people to share their footage and images of the incident or the aftermath of the incident to a closed portal online, where they can begin an analysis for their investigation.
- Two Polish nationals were killed and one injured in the Manchester terror attack, the country's foreign ministry has said.
France's president Emmanuel Macron is seeking to extend the country's state of emergency, imposed after Islamic State attacks, until November, the Elysee Palace announced.
Read More: British troops on streets to foil new attack