Tuesday 20 November 2018

Boat-sinking off Tunisia deadliest in Mediterranean this year as 112 migrants killed

A boat is seen at a harbour in the southern island of Kerkenna, where migrants departed from last week before their boat sank,Tunisia. Picture taken June 4, 2018. REUTERS/Zoubeir Souissi
A boat is seen at a harbour in the southern island of Kerkenna, where migrants departed from last week before their boat sank,Tunisia. Picture taken June 4, 2018. REUTERS/Zoubeir Souissi
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

The weekend capsizing off Tunisia of an overloaded smuggling boat is now believed to have killed 112 migrants, making it the deadliest shipwreck in the Mediterranean Sea this year, the UN migration agency said.

Spokesman Leonard Doyle, of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), said it counted 60 confirmed deaths and 52 people missing and presumed dead from the capsizing off the eastern city of Sfax.

Sixty-eight people survived.

Mr Doyle said the toll makes the capsizing "the single biggest incident of dead and missing this year" on the Mediterranean, after two other shipwrecks off the Libyan coast in January and February that each left 100 people dead or missing and presumed dead.

The IOM said Tunisians make up most migrants now attempting the crossing in the central Mediterranean route towards Italy.

Press Association

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News