At least 30 die of alcohol poisoning after drinking bath lotion
At least 30 people have died of alcohol poisoning in a Russian city after drinking bath lotion.
Russian health chiefs said the victims died of methanol poisoning after consuming the lotion containing alcohol in the city of Irkutsk. Another 15 people are in a serious condition in the city's hospitals.
The victims drank a lotion called Boyaryshnik (Hawthorn) which contains alcohol. Another 17 to 20 people are currently in three hospitals of the city, according to varying reports.
Officials said the bottles of lotion were clearly marked with warnings that they are not for internal use. A probe into the incident is under way.
'Almost all of them are in a serious condition and are in intensive care,' a source from the Health Ministry told Siberian Times.
Investigators say all the victims were residents of one neighbourhood, Novo-Lenino.
Poisonings with surrogate alcohol are a regular occurrence in Russia, but the Irkutsk case is one of the deadliest incidents of its kind in years.