| 12.6°C Dublin

April's murderer is jailed for life

Close

April Jones

April Jones

Reuters

BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE. Dyfed-Powys Police undated handout Facebook profile picture of former slaughterhouse worker Mark Bridger who has been found guilty of abducting and murdering schoolgirl April Jones. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Thursday May 30, 2013. See PA story COURTS April. Photo credit should read: Dyfed-Powys Police/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE. Dyfed-Powys Police undated handout Facebook profile picture of former slaughterhouse worker Mark Bridger who has been found guilty of abducting and murdering schoolgirl April Jones. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Thursday May 30, 2013. See PA story COURTS April. Photo credit should read: Dyfed-Powys Police/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

PA

Coral (centre) and Paul Jones, the parents of April Jones give a statement outside Mold Crown Court after Mark Bridger was given a whole life sentence for the abduction and murder of the schoolgirl. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Thursday May 30, 2013. See PA story COURTS April. Photo credit should read: Peter Byrne/PA Wire

Coral (centre) and Paul Jones, the parents of April Jones give a statement outside Mold Crown Court after Mark Bridger was given a whole life sentence for the abduction and murder of the schoolgirl. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Thursday May 30, 2013. See PA story COURTS April. Photo credit should read: Peter Byrne/PA Wire

PA

/

April Jones

MARK Bridger has been jailed for life for the abduction and murder of five-year-old April Jones,

And a leading charity has said that there was a "worrying link" between his looking at indecent images online and the sexually motivated crime he went on to commit.

Internet search companies such as Google have now come under pressure to block access to child-pornography websites after a children's charity said the sites are "fuelling the fantasies" of paedophiles who then go on to sexually assault children.

Bridger, who received a whole life sentence for the murder of schoolgirl April, had used his laptop to search for things such as, "naked young five-year-old girls" and "pictures of naked virgin teens".

He had claimed in court that he had stored the images because he intended to complain to the internet companies about the ease with which they could be accessed.

But the jury rejected his explanation and the judge said he was in no doubt that Bridger was a paedophile who harboured morbid fantasies about young girls.

The British Crown Prosecution Service decided not to charge Bridger with offences in relation to indecent images, claiming it would not have been in the public interest.

It also emerged during Bridger's trial that he had twice recorded a rape scene from a horror movie called, 'The Last House on the Left', which police believe he watched just prior to abducting and killing April.

The children's charity NSPCC warned that more needed to be done, calling for "effective measures" to be introduced to curb the ease in which extreme pornography and indecent images of children can be accessed online.

Bridger's laptop contained a disturbing cache of vile images featuring youngsters being raped and abused.

Earlier this month, Stuart Hazell was jailed for the murder of his partner's 12-year-old grand-daughter, Tia Sharpe. During his trial, the Old Bailey heard how he had used his computer to search for such terms as "violent forced rape" and "incest".

Bridger, like Hazell, has no previous convictions for sexual offences.

The pair went from viewing indecent images to the worst class of offending with no gradual increase in their offending – something which suggested they were no threat to children and allowed them to go undetected by police.

Last night, Phillip Noyes, acting chief executive of the NSPCC, said there was a "worrying link" between the viewing of such images and those who went on to abuse children.

He said: "It seems Bridger lived in a fantasy world which included looking at child abuse images online.

Scott Rubin, director of communications and public affairs at Google, said: "Google has a zero-tolerance policy on child sexual abuse content. We are members and joint funders of the Internet Watch Foundation – an independent body that searches the web for child-abuse imagery and then sends us links, which we remove from our search index.

WARNINGS

"When we discover child- abuse imagery or are made aware of it, we respond quickly to remove and report it to the appropriate law enforcement authorities."

Child protection campaign groups say that web companies such as Google could introduce online warnings, threatening users with the risk of prosecution should they proceed, which are triggered when attempts are made to access explicit sites.

The charity, Rape Crisis, said: "Our concern is that given current legal loopholes, similar men using pornography simulating acts of sexual violence including rape, child sexual abuse and incest, would not be committing an offence under existing extreme pornography legislation." (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent