| 12.3°C Dublin

Al Jazeera will not air video of Toulouse attacks

The Qatar-based TV news network al Jazeera has decided not to broadcast explicit footage of the Toulouse shootings.

The cold-blooded killings were filmed by the al-Qa'ida-inspired gunman, Mohamed Merah, put on a memory stick and then sent to the news network's Paris bureau.

The letter, which was received late on Monday, had been mailed last Wednesday from Toulouse as police laid siege to an apartment where the 23-year-old Frenchman was hiding. He was later shot dead after a gunfight.

President Nicolas Sarkozy, who had implored the network not to air the pictures out of respect for victims, thanked al Jazeera and warned that France would jam any other broadcaster who tried to air the film.

Al Jazeera said the video did "not meet the television station's code of ethics for broadcast".

Merah had told negotiators he had filmed all of his attacks, which began on March 11 and resulted in the deaths of three soldiers, three Jewish children and a rabbi. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent