Tuesday 21 November 2017

Accused mum barred me from house, dad of mummified boy tells court

Aftab Khan (right) arriving at Bradford Crown Court
Aftab Khan (right) arriving at Bradford Crown Court
Amanda Hutton arriving at Bradford Crown Court, where she is charged with the manslaughter of her son, Hamzah Khan

Dave Higgens

THE father of a four-year-old boy whose mummified body was found in his mother's bedroom has told a court how he was barred by his former partner from going into her house after raising concerns about his son's welfare.

Aftab Khan was giving evidence at the trial of Amanda Hutton, 43, who is accused of the manslaughter of Hamzah Khan.

Hamzah's body was discovered in a cot in Hutton's Bradford home in September 2011.

A jury at Bradford Crown Court has heard how he had died almost two years earlier, in December 2009.

Mr Khan told the court how he had separated from Hutton after he was charged with assaulting her.

He said he was initially stopped from visiting Hutton due to a court order but did start to go and see his son when they moved to a new home in Bradford in March 2009.

Mr Khan told the jury his former partner was not looking after Hamzah properly.

"I said 'look at the state of him - you're not looking after him' and she told me to get out," he told the jury.

The mechanic and taxi driver told the court that it was his concerns about his son that had led to the arguments resulting in his arrest in 2008 and eventual conviction for battery.

He said: "She wasn't bathing him. She wasn't changing him."

And Mr Khan said he would only see Hutton feeding Hamzah milk. He said his former partner drank cider and vodka heavily, especially after the death of her mother.

"She'd be absolutely out of it," he said.

Hutton, who denies manslaughter, sat in the dock dressed in black, watching Mr Khan give his evidence.

Mr Khan told the jury he contacted social services once about the condition of Hamzah but said he was ignored.

The jury has heard how, when Mr Khan was arrested for attacking Hutton in 2008, he told police he was going to contact social services about his son.

A senior police officer told the court there was no record he ever made the call.

Today, Paul Greaney QC, prosecuting, asked Khan whether he did contact social services.

He said: "I remember ringing social services up.

"They said it was a private matter.

"Social services are never bothered about cases like this."

Pressed by Mr Greaney, he said: "I clearly remember. There's no record of it.

"They weren't bothered, they weren't interested. I'd given up at that time."

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News