The opening of the new school year in second-level schools may be disrupted by a decision to postpone the start of the Leaving Cert to late July/August.
It will depend on the final timetable for the rescheduled exams and how long it takes to grade the papers of the 61,000 candidates, in which working teachers are heavily involved.
A Department of Education spokesperson confirmed it is only when the new exam schedule is set in June "will it be possible to determine if there will be any impact for the start of the new school year".
The State Examinations Commission (SEC) will seek to boost examiner numbers by using Junior Cycle examiners as well as recruiting further examiners in a bid to make the marking process as efficient as possible.
Education Minister Joe McHugh's announcement of the postponement of the Leaving Cert ends weeks of uncertainty caused by the Covid-19 public health emergency, which closed schools on March 12. Schools will remain shut until further notice.
The traditional Junior Cycle written exams are also cancelled, and will be replaced by school-based exams and assessments early in the next school year.
The exceptional arrangements have been decided on foot of updated advice from the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET).
Even as he announced the postponement of the Leaving Cert, Mr McHugh said plans being put in place for the exams to begin in the last week of July or early August were subject to public health advice.
Final arrangements for the exams, the exam centres, social distancing and other measures will be determined by the State Examinations Commission (SEC) on foot of public health advice in June.
There was a general welcome for the announcement, although the Irish Second-Level Students' Union (ISSU) said while it offered some clarity, it left questions unanswered.
The ISSU also expressed concern the decision would have on students' mental health and well-being and said no additional supports had been announced to help exam candidates navigate through the extension.
Mr McHugh said the welfare of students and that of their families was "front and centre in all decision making".
He said he hoped it helped to alleviate some stress, although he acknowledged asking Leaving Cert students and their families to refocus their attention from June to August "is not something we do lightly. I know it will not be easy".
He believed it was "the fairest way of assessing students and giving them certification of achievement in school and a pathway to higher and further education and training, apprenticeship or work".
Students with special educational needs will be fully supported in sitting the rescheduled exams in line with the reasonable accommodations as already arranged for them, he said.
The postponement has implications for the CAO process, but the intention is that it will operate as closely as possible to the usual timeframe for offers, with a delayed start for first years.
Leaving Cert practical exams, due to have been held in May, will also be rescheduled for late July/early August.
It is the intention to allow at least two weeks of class time, in school, before the exams begin, which will involve teachers being asked to make themselves available to return to school in July.
The two second-level teacher unions, the ASTI and the TUI, said they fully understood the decision to defer the State exams.
They said they remained committed to serving the best interests of students.
Visit our Covid-19 vaccine dashboard for updates on the roll out of the vaccination program and the rate of Coronavirus cases Ireland
Shoppers wanting to go to their favourite stores were testing the patience of gardaí at Covid-19 checkpoints as efforts continued to persuade members of the public to stay at home to stop the spread of the virus.
Q: What are these reports about a possible new "passport" that could be given to people who have had the Covid-19 virus and developed antibodies giving them potential immunity to reinfection?
The devastating impact the coronavirus is having on public patients needing surgery is revealed in stark new figures showing waiting lists have jumped by a record 11,000 in just a month, to 77,748.
There will shortly be a surge in Covid-19 mortality rates. It will be substantially smaller as a result of our intense 'whole of society' response. We have carefully observed lessons from China and Italy, courage has not been wanting, and society has worked to prepare with focus, sacrifice and good direction. Churchill is in vogue - his 'end of the beginning' phrase (1940) springs to mind.
One of Ireland's top attractions, Fota Wildlife Park, faces the nightmare scenario of coping with a €15,000-a-month feed bill for its 135 animal species while the 100-acre park remains totally empty of visitors.
There is much we don't yet know about Covid-19. But there are some things we do know which could be used as part of the containment drive. Number one, we know it's highly contagious. Number two, we know people in frontline healthcare are more exposed to the virus than others in the population - among those who've contracted it, one in four is a health worker.
In virtually every hospital and nursing home in the country today, exhausted health workers are wondering how to summon the energy to meet the limitless demands they face. Families are enduring bottomless grief, and patients are fighting for their lives. So those inclined to roll their eyes at the Taoiseach's announcement the lockdown will be pushed out until May 5 might think about walking in their shoes before complaining.
Those of a certain vintage remember where they were when they heard John F Kennedy had been assassinated. Likewise, the attack on the Twin Towers in New York provoked images of catastrophe which lives on in the minds of a later generation.
After 19 hours of talks by video conference, eurozone finance ministers have finally agreed a series of financing deals for a package worth a total of €540bn to help pay for some of the health and economic costs of the Covid-19 pandemic.
With the Netherlands and Italy at each other's throats, it was never going to be easy for eurozone finance ministers to come out of their marathon video conference with a comprehensive deal that would allow countries to finance their health needs and fund the post-pandemic economic reconstruction.
Three days before the World Health Organisation declared the coronavirus a pandemic, Stacie Hunt, a 36-year-old Australian finance broker, and eight members of her extended family arrived at a downtown Sydney wharf to begin a two-week cruise to New Zealand.