| 23.4°C Dublin

'I am a fit ultra cyclist and took all precautions yet I was floored by coronavirus' - Ciaran Breslin (36)


Cyclist Ciaran Breslin said he only let his guard down twice

Cyclist Ciaran Breslin said he only let his guard down twice

Cyclist Ciaran Breslin said he only let his guard down twice

A Covid-19 compliance officer who caught coronavirus is urging people to obey public health rules and to realise how easy it is to be hit with the virus.

Ciaran Breslin (36), who is also an ultra cyclist, is just out of self-isolation after falling ill with Covid-19 despite his high level of fitness as an athlete.

Despite wearing masks to shops and taking all precautions since March, due to having elderly parents with underlying health conditions, Mr Breslin believes he let his guard down only twice - which was enough to get infected.

"I had planned to get up at 5.30am on July 22 to go bike training before work but when I stood up out of bed I felt like I was going to faint," he said.

"I rang my boss at Meath Enterprise Centre, where I am the Covid-19 compliance officer, and said I was going to get a test even just to rule out Covid-19.

"I got the test within 90 minutes of talking to my GP and went straight into self-isolation.

"Two days later I got the call and text to say I was positive and I nearly fell out of the chair with shock.

"I couldn't believe it because I have been so careful and did everything right. I haven't taken off my face mask since March.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

"The only thing I can think of was the weekend before when I had used a public toilet while out cycling and may not have washed my hands thoroughly.

"Also just in the days before I got sick I touched a petrol pump at a service station without gloves and didn't hand sanitise directly after but I'm only surmising that.

"God only knows where I picked it up from."

Mr Breslin, from Navan, said that he felt fine until day three of his illness when he could barely get out of bed for two days because of extreme fatigue and weakness. But thankfully he has made a full recovery.

"It was the self-isolation that nearly killed me," he laughed.

"It was fine for the first few days but then I saw people off hiking and cycling on social media and I eventually had to put my phone away, especially over the bank holiday weekend.

"I had to ring a few people who I barely knew but who I'd had close contact through work to let them know that I passed on their details to the contact tracing team. I felt awful about it. I was also devastated to tell my mam and four-year-old niece who I had been in contact with, but luckily they are fine."

He also urged the public to listen to the experts and heed their advice on avoiding catching and spreading the illness

"People have to be vigilant. It's out there. It hasn't gone away and it can get you in a heartbeat even with all the precautions.

"We have to be responsible and keep social distancing, keep wearing face masks and washing hands.

"Anyone can get it and we need to get rid of that stigma of almost guilt-shaming those who contract it. But if we feel unwell at all we must self-isolate and be honest about it.

"I've heard stories of people going into work feeling ill or going shopping while they are supposed to be self-isolating. It's reckless and selfish and it's putting people's lives in danger."

Visit our Covid-19 vaccine dashboard for updates on the roll out of the vaccination program and the rate of Coronavirus cases Ireland

Most Watched