Sunday 16 December 2018

Briton bitten by cat on holiday dies after contracting rabies

 

'Prompt care can save an infected person’s life.' Stock photo
'Prompt care can save an infected person’s life.' Stock photo

Ella Pickover

A Briton who died after being bitten by a cat with rabies while abroad in Morocco "did not receive the vaccine until it was too late", it has emerged.

Public Health England issued a warning to travellers after the UK resident contracted the disease after being bitten by a rabid cat.

It is understood that the person was bitten a few weeks ago and was not given immediate, potentially life-saving, treatment.

Prompt care can save an infected person's life.

It is believed that the Briton sought care both in Morocco and at home.

Professor Jimmy Whitworth, professor of international public health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: "My understanding is that this is somebody who had contact with a cat that was behaving abnormally and sought care.

"I believe that the cat bit this person a few weeks ago."

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News