'Boston bomber' to face death penalty if guilty
The US government is to seek the death penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, below, the former college student awaiting trial for allegedly bombing the Boston Marathon last year, killing three people and injuring 260.
The decision by US Attorney General Eric Holder was made after hearing arguments from Tsarnaev's defence team made over the past several months. It was announced yesterday by Boston US Attorney Carmen Ortiz. Tsarnaev's intentional involvement in the violent acts, his lack of remorse and his betrayal to the US justify a death sentence, Ortiz said in a filing.
Tsarnaev "committed the offense in an especially heinous, cruel, and depraved manner," Ortiz said.
He is charged with leaving homemade bombs in crowds near the marathon's finish line on April 15. The bombing was the first deadly terrorist attack in the US since September 11, 2001.