News World News

Thursday 22 February 2018

Bobby Moore's son shock death at 43

The family of England football hero Bobby Moore said yesterday they were "deeply shocked and distraught" at the death of his son.

The body of Dean Moore (43) was discovered yesterday morning at his home in Notting Hill, west London. Police are treating his death as "unexplained" and are not looking for any suspects. The Moore family said in a statement: "We are deeply shocked and distraught at the sudden passing of our beloved Dean."

Thieves steal rhino horn in museum

An investigation has been launched after thieves stole a valuable rhino horn from a museum exhibition. The burglars broke into Ipswich Museum in an early hours raid and made off with the horn and a separate rhino skull, police said.

The theft came weeks after museums were warned about a spate of rhinoceros-horn thefts from museums around Europe. The Museums' Association's website said the commercial value of rhino horn has soared recently, largely because the Chinese market uses it in traditional medicines as a cure for cancer. It is also highly prized in Yemen, where it is used for dagger handles.

One in 20 moves home due to feud

One in 20 householders has been forced to move because of a feud with a neighbour, according to new research.

A study of more than 2,000 adults by life assistance company CPP found that home and garden maintenance issues topped the list of arguments, as well as excessive noise, parking spaces and disputes over boundaries. Almost one in five of those polled said they had been involved in a row with a neighbour in the past year, while almost a third never spoke to people living next door.

WWII vet returns Japanese sword

A World War Two veteran's dying wish to return a Japanese general's ceremonial sword to his family has been fulfilled as a gesture of friendship and forgiveness.

Lieutenant Colonel William Weightman was handed the 400-year-old weapon by Major General Shozaburo Iino when the Durham Light Infantryman took the surrender in Sumatra on December 15, 1945. Lt Col Weightman kept the sword for more than 60 years but in 2009, he passed it on to his friend Michael Daly, the bursar of the Teikyo University of Japan in Durham. The weapon will be returned to Japan after the general's family was finally traced.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News