Friday 20 September 2019

Irishman arrested on plane after car crash in Sydney

Horrific: Medics help the injured after the crash in Sydney on Saturday
Horrific: Medics help the injured after the crash in Sydney on Saturday

Stephen Maguire

An Irishman has been charged with dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm in Australia after two of his friends were left seriously injured in a horrific road accident.

The man - 22-year-old Terence Wilkinson from Co Donegal - appeared in court after being arrested on board an aeroplane which was preparing to take off for Dublin on Monday.

Mr Wilkinson, who is originally from Dunfanaghy in Co Donegal, was arrested on board the plane by officers from the Metropolitan Crash Investigation Unit and subsequently brought to Mascot police station in Sydney.

Police allege that Mr Wilkinson was driving a Mazda 323 which hit a van parked on Burke Street, Chifley, in the suburbs of Sydney, at about 2am last Saturday.

CCTV footage appeared to show the alleged driver and a back-seat passenger leaving the scene.

A 25-year-old front-seat passenger and a 27-year-old rear-seat passenger were trapped in the car and had to be freed by emergency personnel at the scene of the accident.

The younger man was taken to St George Hospital in Sydney, where he remains in a critical, but stable condition.

The older man was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where he remains in a serious, but stable condition.


A search was then launched by police for the driver and the other passenger who fled the scene.

All four men are understood to be Irish and at least three are believed to be from Co Donegal. Mr Wilkinson was arrested after his plane, which was ready to take off for Dublin, was requested to return to the boarding gate at Sydney Airport.

Mr Wilkinson was taken to Prince of Wales Hospital, where he was treated and released into the custody of a Crash Investigation Unit officer.

He was then taken to Mascot police station where he was charged with a number of offences, including dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm, failing to stop and assist after a vehicle impact causing grievous bodily harm and two counts of causing bodily harm by misconduct in charge of motor vehicle.

He was also charged with two counts of failing to stop and assist after an impact caused injury, negligent driving occasioning grievous bodily harm, and not giving particulars to the owner of damaged property.

He was refused police bail after appearing in Central Local Court, where he was granted conditional bail to appear in Downing Centre Local Court on August 15.

Inquiries are continuing in an effort to locate the fourth man.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News