Wednesday 13 December 2017

Horror of mum who ploughed into her family while parking and killed her baby son reporters

A-TWO-YEAR-OLD boy was killed and his grandfather was seriously injured when his mother accidently drove into them while parking.

The child, named as Mathew Vaughan, was being held in the arms of his 63-year-old grandfather on the porch of the family’s holiday home in Victoria, Australia.

Neighbours told of the harrowing screams of the mother as she pinned them to the wall of the house in her four wheel drive. Police believe she hit the accelerator by mistake instead of the brake.

‘‘The mother was totally distraught,’’ neighbour Martin Drerup said.

‘‘I heard this crash and I thought somebody had probably bumped into somebody else - then there was a scream. He said the grandfather was pinned to the house by the car and the baby was lying under it.’’

Mr Drerup said witnesses were relieved when the boy began to cry and he was shocked to later discover the toddler had died.

‘‘The baby started crying and so we thought he was alright,’’ he said.

‘‘They took the baby away and I think we were all relieved because it looked like he was going to make it.’’

The boy’s grandfather is in a serious but stable condition in hospital.

The child’s father, Andrew Bond, told reporters in tears: “We have lost our beautiful son. Words cannot express the loss my wife and I are experiencing right now. Mathew was the light of our lives. What has happened here is a tragic accident and we would not wish this on anyone.”

Next-door neighbour Gary Seedsman said he heard the crash and went to investigate but didn’t realise anything was wrong until ambulances showed up.

‘‘It was pretty traumatic,’’ Mr Seedsman said.

‘‘The grandfather was still up against the house, sort of with the car in front of him, so he was stuck behind the car.

‘‘The child was in the back of the ambulance.

‘‘I saw the mother. She was very distraught. It’s just terrible.’’

Paramedic Russell Calley said ambulance crews attempted to save the boy but he died shortly after the crash.

‘‘The boy suffered a large cut to the head and internal injuries,’’ Mr Calley said.

‘‘He was treated by paramedics for more than an hour but tragically he died at the scene.’’

Mr Calley said the man suffered chest injuries and a seriously fractured arm.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News