Friday 26 April 2019

Father kills his baby daughter in horrific live Facebook video

Jiranuch Trirat, mother of 11-month-old daughter Natalie, speaks to the media yesterday. Photo: Reuters
Jiranuch Trirat, mother of 11-month-old daughter Natalie, speaks to the media yesterday. Photo: Reuters

Patpicha Tanakasempipat Bangkok

A Thai man filmed himself killing his 11-month-old daughter in video clips posted on Facebook before committing suicide in the latest controversy to hit the social-media giant's technology.

More than 250,000 Facebook members watched the videos of the child's murder on her father's page, which were available for roughly 24 hours, until they were taken down yesterday.

"This is an appalling incident and our hearts go out to the family of the victim," a Singapore-based Facebook spokesman said. "There is absolutely no place for content of this kind on Facebook and it has now been removed."

Last week, Facebook said it was reviewing how it monitored violent footage and other objectionable material after a posting of the fatal shooting of a man in Cleveland, Ohio, was visible for two hours before being taken down.

The harrowing footage from Thailand showed Wuttisan Wongtalay tying a rope to his daughter Natalie's neck before dropping the child, dressed in a bright pink dress, from the rooftop of a deserted building in the seaside town of Phuket.

Wuttisan's suicide was not broadcast but his lifeless body was found beside his daughter, said Jullaus Suvannin, the police officer in charge of the case.

"He was having paranoia about his wife leaving him and not loving him," he said.

Wuttisan's wife, Jiranuch Trirat, said she had lived with him for more than a year. At first the relationship had gone well, she said, but then he grew violent and sometimes hit her five-year-old son from a previous husband.

She feared that something was wrong yesterday when she found he had left home with Natalie, whose nickname was Beta. She set out to look for them.

"I was afraid he would hurt our daughter even though he loved her," she said.

Thailand's Ministry of Digital Economy contacted Facebook yesterday afternoon about removing the videos, after receiving a police request.

"We will not be able to press charges against Facebook, because they acted according to their protocol when we sent our request," a spokesman said.


After the company faced a backlash for showing the video of the Cleveland killing, chief executive Mark Zuckerberg said Facebook would do all it could to prevent such content in the future.

Meanwhile, a Swedish court has jailed three men yesterday for up to two and a half years for the rape of a woman that was broadcast live on Facebook.

The rape, which shocked Sweden, took place earlier this year in the city of Uppsala, about 80km north of Stockholm. Viewers of the live broadcast alerted police who swooped on an apartment in the city and detained the men.

Two of the men were convicted of rape and the third, who received a six-month sentence, of failing to report the crime and defamation for broadcasting it. The court did not give their ages but said they were born between 1992 and 1998.

The men had denied the charges, saying the woman had given consent to having sex with them.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News