Monday 19 February 2018

The Army veteran who tried to save Pc Keith Palmer says his instincts kicked in

By Laura Harding

Tony Davis added that he stayed at the scene after he stopped administering CPR.

An Army veteran who was among the first on the scene of the Westminster attack has told how he tried to save the life of murdered police officer Keith Palmer.

Tony Davis, who served 22 years in the military, is now a GB Boxing performance coach and was leaving a press event with a group of boxers when he saw the attack taking place.

He told ITV’s This Morning: “We were leaving the exit parallel to where the crash happened, I had my phone out to take footage for social media about the event.

“I didn’t realise there was a crash then at the time, I thought it was a student demonstration, there were people running, coming round towards the gate.

“All of a sudden I saw a large chap brandishing two knives come through the gates and start attacking the policeman.

“At that point instinct kicked in, I leaped over the fence because that guy needed assistance.

“The police were holding their ground and that is when poor Keith got attacked. You start moving back with adrenaline pumping in. At this point the assailant was coming towards us and I recall out of the corner of my eye one of the marksmen coming out and putting three rounds in him.”

Appearing on the show without shoes on because they are still being cleaned, Davis told how he rushed in to give the office CPR, saying: “I just knew he was in a great deal of difficulty. Everything happened so quick but my natural instinct was to get over there and give some assistance if need be.

“I’m not that specially trained in first aid but I know the basics and can put someone at ease.

“Initially when he fell to the ground I tried to have a look at him and put him in the recovery position and check his pulse.

“He had a weak pulse, he was bleeding profusely, He had an initial head wound which didn’t look too bad although it was bleeding. I know a lot of police were screaming ‘he’s been stabbed in the head’ but he had another wound in his arm and another one which I believe was probably the fatal one under his rib cage.

“I put my raincoat underneath to try to stem the blood.”

He added: “I’ve obviously reviewed the footage and audio on my phone which I’ve given to the police. About 90 seconds into it another guy called Mike came and joined in and at this time there were lots of police around, Keith’s colleagues. Three and a half minutes was when the MP came in and sort of took over CPR.”

Davis added that he stayed at the scene after he stopped administering CPR, saying: “I got up and went and looked at the assailant, he was being attended to.

“The MP [Tobias Ellwood] did a tremendous job, everyone there did, I can’t commend the air doctor enough. Very professional. very thorough. It was a great show of solidarity.”

He said he is not sure what happened has fully sunk in, telling the show: “I’m just carrying on, I’m down here for a job as a GB Boxing coach, I’ve got to look after my boxers for tonight. Maybe tomorrow or the day after it will sink in.

“I’m not brave, I’m not a hero.”

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News