Saturday 20 January 2018

Spot of bother for Dalmatian as sweets treats turn toxic

Kerry Buck with PDSA head nurse Steph Williams and Molly (Gilbert Johnston/PDSA/PA)
Kerry Buck with PDSA head nurse Steph Williams and Molly (Gilbert Johnston/PDSA/PA)

A greedy Dalmatian got into a spot of bother after gorging on a feast of chocolate, buns and dog treats.

Molly discovered the food in a shopping bag at home but soon became very ill as chocolate and the sultanas in the buns are highly toxic for dogs.

Owner Kerry Buck, from Middlesbrough, returned home to find her beloved pet suffering from sickness and diarrhoea and frothing at the mouth.

The 28-year-old said: "I'd only popped out for 25 minutes. When I got home, it was absolute chaos - Molly had been sick everywhere.

"I rushed over to her, she was frothing at the mouth and very lethargic. I could see what food she had been eating so I rang PDSA straight away."

Eight-year-old Molly was taken to PDSA's Middlesbrough Pet Hospital where she was given treatment to stabilise her condition and made a full recovery.

Steph Williams, head nurse at PDSA Middlesbrough, said: "Molly ate a potentially lethal cocktail of ingredients. Sultanas affect kidney function and can lead to organ failure, while chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which attacks the central nervous system and can be life threatening.

"It never ceases to amaze me how pets can get themselves into trouble and get their paws on food - even when it's supposedly out of reach. Thankfully for Molly, there seem to be no lasting effects and she has made a great recovery."

Ms Buck said she was grateful to the PDSA, a charity that treats nearly 500,000 pets each year, and in future would "make sure any food is locked away".

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News