Sunday 19 January 2020

Spider-killer sets house on fire

The scene has been preserved for technical examination
The scene has been preserved for technical examination

A man accidentally set a house on fire - while trying to kill a spider.

Firefighters were called to an address in Kenfig Hill, Bridgend, South Wales, and saw smoke billowing from a rear window.

But they were gobsmacked to discover that the fire started when a man sprayed a spider with an aerosol before setting it alight.

A single hose reel jet was enough to extinguish the flames, fire chiefs said,

A spokesman for Mid West and Wales Fire (MWF) Service said: "We attended at an incident at Kenfig Hill at 11.57am today.

"Crews extinguished a small fire at the rear of the property, which was caused when the occupant tried to remove a spider after initially spraying it with an aerosol and then setting it alight.

"The flames then spread to the rest of the room."

MWF urged members of the public to avoid using aerosols inappropriately - and added that there were "more conventional ways" to get rid of spiders and insects.

PA Media

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News