Monday 19 August 2019

Parking wardens save toddler from choking on pasty

Toddler Amelia Thomas was saved from choking by two parking wardens (South Wales Police/PA Wire)
Toddler Amelia Thomas was saved from choking by two parking wardens (South Wales Police/PA Wire)

A toddler has been saved from choking on a pasty by two parking wardens.

Amelia Thomas was in a store on a Christmas shopping trip with her mother in Aberdare, South Wales, on Tuesday.

Her mother's shouts for help were heard by two Rhondda Cynon Taf Council parking enforcement officers.

Nicholas May and Jacquie Raikes rushed in and performed the Heimlich manoeuvre to clear the pasty from Amelia's throat.

Police community support officers Christopher Medlicott and Annie Harris, who were in the shop next door, arrived and took over care of the 17-month-old until a first responder arrived.

Mark Davies, who works as a lifeguard at Rhondda Cynon Taf Council's Rhondda Fach Leisure Centre, kept Amelia's airway clear until an ambulance arrived.

Amelia, who has made a full recovery, and her parents Kimberley and Andrew were reunited with her five saviours this week.

"I was just out shopping and Amelia was having her lunch and she started choking," Amelia's mother Kimberley said.

"All I could think was I was going to lose my baby and that was the only thing going through my mind.

"It only lasted minutes but it felt like hours, and everyone was so good. I am grateful Amelia is now back to her normal happy self."

She said she will take a children's first aid course and encouraged other parents to do the same.

Ms Raikes said: "It was wonderful to see Amelia looking happy and healthy today after her ordeal on Tuesday.

"We were patrolling in Aberdare when we heard mum screaming from the shop that her baby was choking. Amelia was not breathing when we got to her and it was terrifying.

"Luckily my first aid training from just a few weeks ago kicked in and I thought of nothing else but doing what needed to be done to remove the blockage.

"Amelia has made a full recovery and I really hope she has a magical Christmas with her family."

CSO Medlicott said: " We were in the shop next door when Nicholas came in and shouted 'a baby is choking'.

"We ran into the shop and I was passed Amelia who I patted on the back a few times and could then see she had started breathing again.

"While I was doing this Annie called for support and helped keep the baby's mother calm.

"The first responder then identified himself to us and I passed Amelia to him and he kept her airway clear until the ambulance arrived."

Mr Davies was in town shopping with his wife when he heard the commotion and stepped in to help.

He is part of a team of staff at the leisure centre who have trained as first responders with the Wales Ambulance Service.

PA Media

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News