Friday 23 February 2018

Op saves skewer-swallowing puppy

Collie puppy Chubb swallowed a corn skewer during a family barbecue
Collie puppy Chubb swallowed a corn skewer during a family barbecue

A puppy has had to undergo life-saving surgery after swallowing a corn-on-the-cob skewer during a family barbecue.

Chubb, a six-month-old collie, was eating a plate of leftovers when his owner, Yvonne Crawley, noticed the 3in (7.6cm) metal skewer.

Ms Crawley, from Glasgow, said: "Chubb is a very greedy dog - he wolfs down his food and rarely takes the time even to chew.

"He was so fast I couldn't reach him in time to stop him swallowing the remains of the corn-on-the-cob together with the skewer."

Ms Crawley, who was celebrating her 40th birthday at the barbecue, said she immediately phoned the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) for advice and was told to take the dog to the PetAid hospital in Shamrock Street, where vets were "amazed" at his X-ray results.

Siobhan Casey, a PDSA veterinary surgeon, said: "The X-ray clearly showed the skewer lodged in Chubb's stomach but luckily it hadn't caused any damage yet.

"We operated immediately to remove the skewer, which if left could have perforated his stomach, causing potentially fatal peritonitis."

Ms Crawley said: "The care Chubb received from PDSA couldn't have been better. Not only did they save his life, they reassured me and explained everything clearly throughout the ordeal.

"Chubb very quickly returned to his old self after his operation. In fact, we found it difficult to make him rest to protect his stitches.

"He still wolfs down his food, although we have decided to keep him away from any barbecues this summer as we don't want anything like this to happen again."

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News