Directors of the world-famous Black Dyke Band have apologised and spoken of their "deep embarrassment" after it was disqualified from the Yorkshire regional brass band championships.
The band - which is the current national champion and 23 times national championships winner - was thrown out of the Yorkshire Regional Championships for fielding an unregistered player at the Bradford contest earlier this month, along with the South Yorkshire-based Hatfield Band.
The Yorkshire Committee issued a statement earlier this week which said: "F ollowing the Yorkshire Regional Championships on March 7/8 the Regional Committee found it necessary to look into possible discrepancies with regard to player registration with two competing bands.
"After investigation, both bands were found to be in contravention of rule 9(a) of the National Rules of the National Brass Band Championships of Great Britain and were notified of their disqualification from the regional championships.
"Both bands lodged an appeal which were heard by the Regional Committee on March 21.
"The appeals were not allowed and therefore Black Dyke Band are disqualified from the Championship Section contest and Hatfield Band are disqualified from the First Section contest of the Yorkshire Regional Championships 2015."
Peggy Tomlinson, regional secretary, said: "This is a most regrettable situation for all concerned.
"I can only hope that this serves as a stark reminder to all bands to double check player registrations well before contest day, giving time to rectify any problems, and making sure they are in order."
A statement on the The Black Dyke Band Facebook page from director and trustee Paul Woodward said: " Further to the press release by the Yorkshire Regional Committee regarding the disqualification of Black Dyke Band from the Yorkshire Regional Championships held on Sunday March 8 2015, Black Dyke Band wishes to express its deep embarrassment and to convey its profound apologies for the administrative oversight in not registering the player in question.
"The band naturally views the matter very seriously and a separate internal investigation at Black Dyke has been set in motion to ensure the unfortunate situation does not happen again.
"Director of music Professor Nicholas Childs commented that he had personally not been made aware of the registration problem until after the contest but that if he had been he would have taken appropriate action to have avoided the situation becoming a problem."