Boy, 2, dials 999 to save mother
A two-year-old boy has been praised for dialling 999 when his mother collapsed at their home.
East Midlands Ambulance Service said Riley Ward saved his mother's life after she fell ill at their home.
He has now being rewarded with an award for his brave actions by the service who believe he is their youngest ever caller.
Riley dialled 999 and told the operator "mummy's asleep" when his mother Dana Henry collapsed at their home in Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire, on February 5.
Paramedics rushed to the house and Ms Henry was taken to hospital for emergency surgery where it was revealed she had a large blood clot and dangerous bleed on her ovary.
Ms Henry said she had woken that morning with abdominal pains and collapsed after making a cup of tea.
The 27-year-old, who lives with her partner Rob Ward, said: "Rob was just as surprised as I was when we realised Riley had dialled 999, we had drilled it into both of our children since they were old enough to understand numbers. They know that if mummy and daddy are poorly and they can't wake us up they should dial 999.
"It made me really proud that Riley knew what to do, we knew he remembered 999 but were so shocked that he was able to put it into action.
"He is mummy's little hero."
Speaking of the day she collapsed, Ms Henry said: "All I remember is the room getting smaller and smaller and then I opened my eyes when I heard a police officer trying to kick my door down.
"When I gained consciousness I could see that Riley was sat on his toy box looking out of the window at the flashing blue lights.
"I managed to get up and open the door but then collapsed again.
"My head was blurred but I knew I didn't have to worry about Riley because I could hear him laughing in the kitchen with the police officer and an ambulance assistant."
She said the surgeon told her she would have been "very poorly" if she hadn't gone into hospital.
Ms Henry added: "I would never have rang 999 for myself on that day, I would have kept taking pain killers and hoping the pain would go away. It really scared me because if I didn't pass out and Riley didn't ring the ambulance I may not be here today."
Paul Staples, who was the first paramedic to arrive at the house, said: "When control radio come through and tell you a child has dialled 999 you are immediately concerned for both the child and the patient.
"When I got to Dana's house Riley was stood at the door with a big smile, I think he was excited that he had a police officer and a paramedic in his house.
"He was really interested in all of my equipment and kept coming back to check on his mummy.
"His family must be so proud of his actions; he is a really brave little boy."