Balotelli escapes firework blaze
Manchester City footballer Mario Balotelli has escaped unhurt after a firework went off in his bathroom.
Two fire engines were sent to the home of the 21-year-old Italian striker in Mottram St Andrew, Macclesfield, just after midnight after the alarm was raised.
They found a fire in the bathroom on the first floor of the detached property.
Four firefighters arrived wearing breathing apparatus and used two hose reel water jets to douse the flames, and a large fan was deployed to clear smoke.
A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews managed to put the fire out within half an hour of arriving but remained at the scene until 2.45 am to prevent any possible flare-ups.
"Smoke alarms were fitted at the property and the occupiers were able to get out unharmed. The fire was caused by a firework."
The cause of the blaze is being examined by fire investigators and police but is not being treated as suspicious.