10 thrilling pictures of democracy in action you'll probably only appreciate if you're a politics nerd
Real live action drama!
That’s it – the polls are closed for the local elections across Great Britain and within a few hours we’ll know which parties have been successful in this round of voting and perhaps get a sense of how things will play out in the General Election in a few weeks’ time.
But have you ever wondered what it looks like behind the scenes that lead up to the public hearing the result? Democracy in action, if you will.
Well wonder no longer as these pictures will walk you through the thrilling scenes that follow immediately after polls close at 10pm…
1. Here are election staff rocking up at Riverside Ice & Leisure Centre in Chelmsford, Essex.
2. They’re so ready for a night filled with lots and lots of counting.
3. A quick chat to check everyone’s in the right place (the photographer probably gives it away).
4. Aaaand THEY’RE OFF.
5. The pressure is on – the result is, quite literally, in their hands.
6. But what’re the scenes like inside, you ask?
Boxes. Lots of boxes.
7. Many, many piles of ballots to be verified and counted – is that elastic band strong and stable enough to keep it all together? Only time will tell.
8. Precautions have had to be made to ensure that NOTHING gets in the way of that quest for democracy.
9. Thimbles at the ready.
10. And there you have it, this is what is happening right now up and down the country. Can you think of any other place you’d rather be at midnight on a Thursday?
(Perhaps don’t answer that.)