| 13.8°C Dublin

Student dies 'choking on chewing gum in her sleep'

Close

Shanice Clark

Shanice Clark

Shanice Clark

A college basketball player died after she inhaled chewing gum into her lungs as she slept, according to a coroner's report.

Twenty-one-year-old Shanice Clark was discovered unresponsive in her dormitory at California University, Pennsylvania at approximately 3am on Sunday, according to reports.

The basketball player's death appeared to be accidental as she 'probably inhaled chewing gum into her lungs while asleep', a preliminary coroner's report stated.

It is believed Ms Clark 'aspirated' the gum while she was sleeping.

Ms Clark, who was originally from Toronto, Canada, played on the university's Vulcans team.

The university said it was 'deeply saddened' by the death of Ms Clark.

In a statement, the college's athletic director Dr Karen Hjerpe said: "Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family and friends of Shanice Clark.

"Shanice was a bright student and talented player. Her smile and personality will be missed."

A post-mortem examination was conducted on Monday.

Online Editors