Tuesday 12 December 2017

Strauss-Kahn sex charges are dropped

Former IMF Chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn with his wife Anne Sinclair. Photo: Getty Images
Former IMF Chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn with his wife Anne Sinclair. Photo: Getty Images

Jon Swaine in New York

New York prosecutors last night dropped the sex assault charges against Dominique Strauss-Kahn .

All seven criminal charges over the former head of the IMF's alleged assault of Nafissatou Diallo are set to be formally dismissed today by Judge Michael J Obus at New York's supreme court, leaving Mr Strauss-Kahn free to fly home to France.

Ms Diallo (33) maintains that Mr Strauss-Kahn (62) tried to rape her before forcing her to give him oral sex, when she arrived to clean his room at the Sofitel on May 14.

However, she was told by prosecutors at a meeting last night that further problems with the case had been found, in addition to inconsistencies in her testimony and backstory previously discovered.

Prosecutors filed a recommendation for dismissal to the court. Judge Obus must approve it at a hearing this morning, but legal experts said it was inconceivable that he would turn it down.

Speaking outside the offices of Cyrus Vance, the Manhattan district attorney, Ms Diallo's attorney, Kenneth Thompson, announced that the criminal prosecution was over.

"Cyrus Vance has denied the right to a woman to get justice in a rape case," said Mr Thompson, following a 12-minute meeting in Mr Vance's offices.

Protesters held a demonstration in support of Ms Diallo and other alleged rape victims outside Mr Vance's office, demanding that he step down.

Mr Thompson made a last-ditch effort to save the prosecution by having Mr Vance removed from the case before he could request its dismissal.

He filed a motion to the court asking for Mr Vance to be disqualified from taking any further action due to his "inadequate and troubling" handling of the case so far.

The decision brings to an end one of the most sensational cases in New York's recent history, 101 days after Mr Strauss-Kahn was removed from the first-class cabin of a flight to Paris on the tarmac of John F Kennedy Airport.

Friends yesterday predicted that the former head of the IMF could make a swift return to politics.

Francois Hollande, who replaced Mr Strauss-Kahn as front-runner to become the Socialist Party's presidential candidate, said the former candidate "could be useful to his country". (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News