New York says goodbye to seven tragic siblings killed in house fire
New York is saying goodbye to the seven siblings killed in a fire that tore through the family home.
More than 100 firefighters battled the Brooklyn blaze that broke out shortly after midnight on Friday.
The children belonged family is Jewish and reports said that they had left a hot plate switched on for the Sabbath. Many religious Jews refrain from working in all forms including turning on appliances during the Sabbath and some leave them running instead.
It is believed the device malfunctioned.
While one sibling and the family’s mother survived, seven brothers and sisters trapped in the Bedford Avenue property’s second floor bedrooms died, CBS reported on Sunday. The only smoke detector in the home was in the basement.
Eliane Sasoon, 16, David, 12, Rivka, 11, Yeshuva, 10, Moshe, 8, Sara, 6, and 5-year-old Yaakob died in the fire, according to CBS.
“This is the largest tragedy by fire that this city has had in seven years,” Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro told reporters.
“It’s a tragedy for this family, it’s a tragedy for this community, it’s a tragedy for the city.”
The children’s funeral service was being held on Sunday according to PIX 11.
They will be buried in Israel.