Thursday 22 February 2018

Hoverboard explodes and catches fire at shopping centre

Sarah-Jane Murphy

Panic spread rapidly through a section of a Washington mall yesterday when a hoverboard caught fire.

A hoverboard - a self-balancing scooter - was seen going on fire at the Outlet Washington, near Seattle.

Kelli Steiner recorded a video of the incident.

“For no reason, it just exploded,” Steiner told KIRO 7.

“And not just a little fire, exploded. Like combusted, the whole thing.”

"The explosion was dealt with quickly, it's business as usual” at the mall" according to spokesman Michael Goodman.

“From all we know, and I wasn’t there, a unit malfunctioned,” he said.

Luckily nobody was harmed in the incident.

Read More: Customs officers seize 30 tonnes of counterfeit perfume and aftershave at Dublin Port

The Guardian reports that Goodman said the hoverboard was being sold in a kiosk, not a store.

Hoverboards are one of the most-hyped gadgets of the year, but they have been involved in several incidents in recent months.

A Louisanna woman is blaming the product for a fire that destroyed her home.

Meanwhile, a man in Alabama said his hoverboard caught fire while he was riding it in his neighborhood.

The New York City police department said that hoverboards are now banned in the city.

They are also illegal in Britain, with thousands of them being seized at UK ports last week, after testing revealed they ran the risk of exploding or bursting into flames.

However they were made legal in California this year via a law that comes into effect on 1 January 2016.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News