Family release photo of girl in Monster case
THIS is fourteen-year-old Anais Fournier in a family handout photo taken in Hagerstown, Maryland. The family released the first photograph as it was revealed that Monster Energy drink is being sued by them over their daughter's death.
Anais allegedly died after drinking two cans of the drink in a 24-hour period. According to the lawsuit, the autopsy showed that her death had been caused by heart rhythm irregularity triggered by caffeine toxicity that put extra stress on her heart valves.
In all, five deaths are being investigated. And it has been revealed a sixth person died in 2009. A total of 37 adverse reaction reports have been logged since 2004.
Monster, the largest US energy drink maker, by sales volume, sold about $1.6bn worth of such drinks last year and its energy drink sales have tripled since 2006.
"Over the past 16 years Monster has sold more than 8 billion energy drinks, which have been safely consumed worldwide," the company said in an e-mailed statement sent through a spokesman.
"Monster does not believe that its beverages are in any way responsible for the death of Ms Fournier," the spokesman said. A trial date has not yet been set.