Monday 20 November 2017

Brazilian newspapers defy mighty Google

Newspapers accounting for 90 per cent of the circulation in Brazil have abandoned Google News.

Brazil's National Association of Newspapers says all 154 members had followed its recommendation to ban the search engine aggregator from using their content. The papers say Google News refused to pay for content and was driving traffic away from their websites.

Google said previously that the service boosted traffic to news websites.

"Staying with Google News was not helping us grow our digital audiences, on the contrary," said the association's president, Carlos Fernando Lindenberg Neto.

"By providing the first few lines of our stories to internet users, the service reduces the chances that they will look at the entire story in our websites," the president said, in an interview with the Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas.

Internet users using Google -- but not Google News -- will still be able to find content from most newspapers sites.

Sunday Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News