Monday 18 December 2017

Boys aged 7 and 11 pull loaded gun on woman during carjacking in church car park

John Hall

TWO boys aged seven and 11 have been arrested after allegedly pulling a loaded gun on a woman during an attempted carjacking and robbery in a church car park.

The incident took place near Freedom Foursquare Church in south east Portland, Oregon at the weekend, with police saying the pair had been armed with a loaded and cocked .22 calibre handgun.

Speaking with the Portland-based television station KATU, the victim Amy Garrett said: “I didn’t think it was real…they were just two really young kids”.

Police were initially called to the scene by another member of the public who reported that a child had seen the 11-year-old boy carrying a loaded handgun.

When they arrived they spotted two boys who police say attempted to run away when officers tried to speak to them.

Upon stopping them, police say one boy refused to take his hands from his pockets, where officers eventually found the loaded gun.

Ms Garrett (22) later flagged down police to report the attempted carjacking and identified the two boys as the culprits.

Ms Garrett says she had been sitting in a vehicle outside the church waiting for her parents when the incident occurred.

She claims the boys approached her and threatened to shoot her if she did not give them the vehicle.

She says “He was showing me his gun and I asked him if it was real…He said 'you don't ever ask somebody if it's real. That's how you get yourself shot.’”

Ms Garrett said the 7-year-old then told the 11-year-old to “show her your piece.” The 11-year-old then lifted his shirt and showed Ms Garrett the gun.

“He said it was fully-loaded and cocked and ready to go. He told me he was going to blow my brains out if I didn't give him anything.”

When Ms Garrett refused to give the boys her car, they demanded she hand over her wallet and phone.

At that point she drove away from the boys, but looked back to see the 11-year-old pull the gun from his pocket. It was then she called the US emergency services number 911.

“My heart was beating a million miles a minute. I'm surprised it didn't completely beat out of my chest. I was very scared,” Garrett said.

Later, while KATU were interviewing Ms Garrett at the scene of the incident, the 11-year-old boy allegedly walked past the group.

He left and did not return when KATU asked to speak with his parents, who are said to live nearby.

Sgt. Pete Simpson said due the boys’ ages, they cannot be taken to the Donald E. Long Juvenile Detention Home. They were both left with their parents.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News