Amanda Knox family invite Raffaele Sollecito to Seattle for reunion
AMANDA Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, who were both cleared of the murder of Meridith Kercher on Monday could be reunited after Knox's family invited him to stay in the US.
Knox arrived back to Seattle airport on Wednesday to cheers from supporters.
Now the pair, who have fought a four year battle to clear their names, could be reunited.
Dr Francesco Sollectio, the father of Raffaele said: "We each went our separate ways after the sentence but through my daughter I heard that Amanda's stepdad invited us to Seattle. It is too soon to say whether we will go."
Sollectio has claimed that he was treated violently by the Perugia police after being taken into custody in November 2007.
Describing his experience he said: "I thought that I didn't have anything to worry about because they would look after me as my father had always told me they would.
Knox has also claimed that she was assaulted during questioning and that the verbal and physical intimindation caused her to wrongly name Patrick Lumumba as the killer.
She has been ordered to pay £19,000 in compensation for wrongly accusing Mr Lumumba, who owns a bar in Perugia.
Knox failed to have her three-year sentence for defamation overturned but has already served the sentence before the appeal.
Know gave a brief statement after flying into the US yesterday.
"I am really overwhelmed right now. I was looking down from the aeroplane and it seemed like everything wasn't real.
"What is important for me to say is just thank-you to everyone who has believed in me, who has defended me and supported my family.
"My family is the most important thing to me right now and I want to go and be with them. Thank you for being there for me."
She had earlier nodded repeatedly when her lawyer asked people to remember Miss Kercher in their prayers.
Knox, who spent four years in prison before being freed, clutched the hands of her mother Edda Mellas and sister Deanna during the press conference.
Following her public statement she was taken from Seattle airport to an undisclosed location.
Her father Curt returned home without her and said the family was determined to keep her whereabouts a mystery for the moment.
However he confirmed his daughter wanted to resume her studies at the University of Washington, and vowed to fight any further action by Italian prosecutors "to the end."
He said the press conference at the airport had been the first moment she realised the enormity of media interest in her case.
Mr Knox said she "needed her space" and had not agreed to any media deals.
"She has been in a concrete bunker for four years," he said.
On Monday an Italian court overturned her 2009 conviction for murdering 21-year-old Miss Kercher.
Ivorian drifter Rudy Guede as the only person convicted in a killing that investigators believe was carried out by more than one person.