Saturday 18 November 2017

Video: It was like war not football, says player as dozens die

Dina Zayed in Cairo

AT LEAST 73 people were killed and more than 1,000 injured last night after a pitch invasion in the Egyptian city of Port Said.

Last night the country's deputy health minister called it the biggest disaster in the nation's soccer history.

Violence at football matches across north Africa has increased significantly since political unrest began sweeping the region more than a year ago, and one player described last night's riot as "a war, not football".

Angry politicians and sports officials decried a lack of security at the match between Port Said team al-Masry and Al Ahli, one of Egypt's most successful clubs, and blamed the nation's leaders for allowing -- or even causing -- the tragedy.

The trouble flared at the end of a match when al-Masry beat Al Ahli 3-1.

"This is deeply saddening. It is the biggest disaster in Egypt's soccer history," deputy health minister Hesham Sheiha told state television. Witnesses said trouble broke out when Al Ahli fans unfurled banners insulting Port Said and an Ahli supporter descended onto the pitch carrying an iron bar.

Al-Masry fans reacted by pouring onto the pitch and attacking Al Ahli players. They then turned to the terraces to attack Ahli supporters.


Most of the deaths were among people who were trampled in the crush of the panicking crowd or those who fell from terraces, witnesses said.

Live television coverage showed fans running onto the field and chasing Ahli players. A small group of riot police formed a corridor to try to protect the players, but they appeared overwhelmed and fans were still able to kick and punch the players as they fled.

"This is not football. This is a war and people are dying in front of us. There is no security and no ambulances," said Al Ahli player Mohamed Abo Treika.

"I call for the premier league to be cancelled. This is horrible situation and today can never be forgotten."

State television reported that Egypt's football federation had indefinitely suspended premier league matches.

Egypt's field marshal, Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, the head of the country's ruling military council, ordered two helicopters be sent to Port Said to fly out the visiting Al Ahli team and its fans, sources said.

Albadry Farghali, a member of parliament for Port Said, accused officials and security forces of allowing the disaster, saying they still had ties to the government of President Hosni Mubarak, who was overthrown a year ago.

"The security forces did this or allowed it to happen. The men of Mubarak are still ruling," he screamed in a telephone call to live television.

A number of policemen were also among the dead, a medical source said.

Another match in Cairo was halted by the referee after receiving news of the violence in Port Said, prompting fans to set parts of the stadium on fire, television footage showed.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News