Saturday 16 February 2019

15 people killed as gunmen attack luxury hotel in Nairobi

Militants storm complex

A woman reacts after being rescued from the Dusit Hotel on January 15, 2018 in Nairobi, Kenya. A current security operation is underway after terrorists attacked the hotel. Andrew Renneisen/Getty Images
A woman reacts after being rescued from the Dusit Hotel on January 15, 2018 in Nairobi, Kenya. A current security operation is underway after terrorists attacked the hotel. Andrew Renneisen/Getty Images
Members of security forces secure a building at the scene where explosions and gunshots were heard at the Dusit hotel compound, in Nairobi, Kenya January 15, 2019. REUTERS/Baz Ratner
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

The 15 people killed in a militant attack on a luxury hotel in Nairobi included a British man, it is believed.

Gunmen stormed the DusitD2 complex in the Westlands district of the Kenyan capital on Tuesday afternoon, setting off explosions and shooting people.

NAIROBI, KENYA - JANUARY 16: Kenyan security forces walk outside the Dusit Hotel on January 16, 2018 in Nairobi, Kenya. A security operation has continued into a second day after Al-Shabab militants stormed the hotel, killing at least 15 people. (Photo by Andrew Renneisen/Getty Images)
NAIROBI, KENYA - JANUARY 16: Kenyan security forces walk outside the Dusit Hotel on January 16, 2018 in Nairobi, Kenya. A security operation has continued into a second day after Al-Shabab militants stormed the hotel, killing at least 15 people. (Photo by Andrew Renneisen/Getty Images)

A mortuary worker told Reuters news agency that a British man was among the casualties, while the US State Department said an American woman had also died.

Special forces were sent into the hotel to flush out the gunmen believed to be holed up inside the hotel and the Interior Ministry said the area had been secured on Tuesday night.

However gunfire and another explosion were later reportedly heard at the scene.

On Wednesday morning the National Police Service said the area remained "under an active security operation" and ordered people to stay away "until it is declared safe".

Al-Shabab - the Somalia-based group that carried out the 2013 Westgate Mall attack in Nairobi that left 67 people dead - has claimed responsibility for the atrocity.

Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta was expected to address the nation on the attack on Wednesday morning.

A woman is rescued at the scene of an on going terrorist attack at a hotel complex in Nairobi's Westlands suburb on January 16, 2019.) LUIS TATO/AFP/Getty Images
A woman is rescued at the scene of an on going terrorist attack at a hotel complex in Nairobi's Westlands suburb on January 16, 2019.) LUIS TATO/AFP/Getty Images

A UK Foreign Office spokeswoman said: "We are in contact with the Kenyan authorities who are coordinating a response and stand ready to assist as required."

The Kenya Red Cross said it was helping families searching for loved ones missing since the attack began.

Press Association

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News