Monday 16 July 2018

13 people killed by gunmen in Senegal's Casamance region, military confirms

13 people have been killed by gunmen in the Casamance region
13 people have been killed by gunmen in the Casamance region
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

The Senegalese military says 13 people have been killed by gunmen in the southern Casamance region.

The bloodshed in the southern Casamance region, confirmed by Colonel Abdoul Ndiaye, was the worst in years and sparked fears of renewed unrest in the south.

Separatists there have sought independence for more than 30 years in the West African nation.

Despite the presence of separatists, Casamance had been relatively calm since 2012.

Colonel Ndiaye said the victims had been searching for firewood just outside the town of Ziguinchor.

Their deaths came hours after the release of two prisoners belonging to the separatist group known as the Movement of Democratic Forces of Casamance.

Press Association

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News