News World News

Tuesday 12 November 2019

47-stone bull goes out on a limb

Firefighters in Cumbria, England, were sent out on an unusual call after a 47-stone bull became stuck in a tree.

They found the animal trapped and hanging over a 33ft drop. The bull was lifted from the tree with heavy plant machinery.

Message in bottle breaks sea record

A message in a bottle hauled from the depths by a fishing boat has set a new world record for time spent at sea, beating the old record by more than five years.

The bottle, released in 1914, turned up nearly 98 years later in a net during a fishing mission east of Shetland.

Massaging their way into records

Some 800 masseuses in Bangkok are vying to make it into the Guinness World Records Book by massaging 800 people simultaneously for 12 minutes.

If successful, Thailand will crush the record of 263 people set in Australia in 2010.

Poor manure puts event in jeopardy

The US drought is causing an unusual problem for one festival -- a shortage of cow "chips".

The Wisconsin State Cow Chip Throw and Festival uses hundreds of dried cow pats for the annual competition. Organisers said the quantity and quality of manure were poor because of the heat.

Film festival gives paws for thought

A Minneapolis museum is giving serious attention to the phenomenon of funny cat videos with a film festival.

The Walker Art Centre's Internet Cat Video Film Festival was created as a social experiment to see if a popular online activity will translate into a shared community experience.

Driver (100) hits 11 people at school

A 100-year-old man backed his car on to a pavement and hit 11 people, including nine children, opposite a south Los Angeles primary school just after classes had ended.

Four children are in a serious condition, city fire captain Jaime Moore said.

Cooking causes air emergency

An investigation into why a Lufthansa commercial jet made an unscheduled stop at an Austrian airport last week has arrived at its conclusion: smelly cooking oil.

Boris Ogorski, a spokesman for the German carrier, said fumes from the cooking oil in the jet's kitchen spread throughout the plane as meals were being warmed, sickening some of the passengers.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editors Choice

Also in World News