Wednesday 21 February 2018

44 taken to hospital after Romanian nightclub burns down

A firefighter stands on the terrace of the nightclub wrecked by fire
A firefighter stands on the terrace of the nightclub wrecked by fire

Almost 50 people were taken to hospital after fire engulfed a popular nightclub in Romanian capital Bucharest, officials have said.

The fire erupted in the early hours at the upscale Bamboo nightclub, which was burned to the ground.

Most people suffered from smoke inhalation, according to the city's ambulance service, while others were injured as they reportedly jumped from the upper level of the lakeside club to escape the flames.

Interior Ministry spokeswoman Monica Dajbog said 44 received hospital treatment and by Saturday evening five were still hospitalised.

Some party-goers who rushed outside without picking up their coats suffered hypothermia in the minus 12C (10F) conditions.

The fire evoked memories of the disaster at another Bucharest nightclub in October 2015 which killed 64 people - the worst nightclub fire in the country's history.

Prosecutors have opened an inquiry into the Bamboo fire but there was no immediate word on its cause.

Witness Corina Anghel told private television station Digi24 that people were smoking upstairs and the roof caught fire.

She also said waiters served bottles of drinks with sparklers attached. Indoor fireworks and smoking inside public places are illegal in Romania.

Bamboo has several clubs in Romania and one in Miami, Florida. It first opened in Bucharest in 2002 and was rebuilt after it was destroyed by a fire in 2005.

AP

Press Association

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News