Tuesday 21 November 2017

20 killed in bombing at the Yemen defence ministry headquarters

Smoke rises from the Defence Ministry's compound after an attack, in Sanaa, Yemen today
Smoke rises from the Defence Ministry's compound after an attack, in Sanaa, Yemen today

At least two people have been killed in a bombing at the defence ministry headquarters in Yemen, officials said.

Another 20 were wounded when the suicide car bomb was detonated at the complex in the centre of the capital, Sanaa.

The blast blew out windows and doors of homes and offices near the ministry site.

The officials said it was not immediately clear what caused the explosion, which sent a cloud of black smoke over the area.

Officials said the bombing was followed by a fire fight between troops and a carload of gunmen.

The ministry said "most" of the gunmen had been killed, but did not say how many there were.

The officials said the blast also badly damaged a hospital inside the ministry complex.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editors Choice

Also in World News